Located off Washington and South streets, comprising approximately 365 acres, the Walpole Town Forest is owned by the town of Walpole and is used for passive recreation and forestry production.
The Town Forest was dedicated on May 5, 1916 during the Arbor Day celebrations. The highlight of this day in Walpole was the turnout of nearly 2,000 townspeople and the first planting of the new forest by hundreds of children.
The first tree was planted by a future president of the United States, then-Lt. Gov. Calvin Coolidge. The initial land area was donated by George A. Plimpton and the Town Forest was established through the efforts of the park board and its chairman, Charles S. Bird.
The Town Forest was the third town forest to be established in the Commonwealth and the first by a small town.
Walpole Town Forest Map & Brochure
Walpole Town Forest Committee
- The Town of Walpole Establishes a Communal Forest of 200 Acres, by John A. Murphy (from "American City," August 1916)
- First Acre of the Walpole Town Forest, Planted by 900 of the Boys and Girls of the Town, May 5, 1916 (From The Walpole Times)
- The Walpole Town Forest Status 1975 (Walpole Conservation Commission Memo dated March 12, 1975)
- About the Library
- Adult Services
- EBooks / Downloadable Audiobooks
- Friends of the Walpole Public Library
- History of Walpole
- Hours and Directions
- Library Board of Trustees
- Library Policies
- Lost Material Policy
- Museum Passes
- New Books, DVDs & Audio
- Online Catalog
- Strategic Plan
- Support the Library
- Youth Services
- Zinio Downloadable Magazines