Road Claim Defect Form

Pursuant to the Massachusetts General Laws, Part I, Title XIV, Chapter 84, the Town of Walpole has a reasonable opportunity to fix potholes, trenches, road hazards, etc. once it is reported to the Department of Public Works.  Prior to the report, the Town is not liable to reimburse costs for damage to vehicles, people or property damaged by an unreported road defect.  The Department of Public Works makes every effort to find these road defects before they cause damage, but potholes can "bloom" overnight, especially during the early winter and early spring.

To report any road defect, please contact the Department of Public Works at 508-660-7305.

If you have experienced damage to your vehicle relating to a road defect and wish to file a claim, please complete the Road Defect Incident Report in its entirety and return to the Walpole Town Administrator’s office at Town Hall. Please be sure to include pictures of the damage and an estimate or invoice for the repairs.

To submit your form, or for questions or more information, please contact:

Patrick Shield, Assistant Town Administrator
Walpole Town Hall
135 School Street
Walpole, MA 02081 

or submit electronically to

PDF icon road_defect_form.pdf212 KB