Walpole Route 1A Improvement Project
The Section of Route 1A south of Davis Street to/including Page Street will have limited to no access after 7 PM on Tuesday 9/27 due to full depth road excavation. This area is also scheduled to be closed Wednesday evening 9/28 for paving. It is recommended that residents of Davis St., Page Ave., & Fairmont St. needing to leave between 7:00 PM and 5:00 AM park at the Fisher Elementary School on Gould St.
Rt. 1A Improvements – September 25 - October 15, 2022 Update
Over the next three weeks, the Contractor will continue the full-depth roadway reconstruction along Route 1A between Gay Ave and Page Ave during nighttime hours. Upon completion of full depth reconstruction, crews will start placing an intermediate pavement course from Mylod St to Page Ave. These operations will require the use of the East St to Washington St to Mylod St detour (to view the detour map, download the Project Update at the bottom of the page). During daytime hours, the Contractor will be constructing curbs and sidewalks at the northern end of the project area, and continuing work at the Neponset Bridge. Particular attention will be paid to not blocking up all of a business's driveways. The Town and MassDOT appreciate the patience of residents and commuters throughout the past week or so as the traffic management has been a challenge.
Route 1A is one of the Town’s main commercial corridors, as well as one of the region’s main thoroughfares. The stretch of 1A undergoing repair abuts residences, schools, and local businesses. Current conditions on the roadway have caused traffic congestion and safety issues for both vehicles and pedestrians. Improving the roadway infrastructure will address public safety concerns and improve economic development by helping local businesses to thrive.
Why the Project is Necessary
- Improve safety for motorists and pedestrians
- Improve access to Norfolk County Agricultural High School and Fisher Elementary School
- Improve access to residential neighborhoods and local businesses
- Assist with economic development efforts by providing safe and practical access to businesses and supporting future growth through renewed infrastructure
The Walpole Route 1A Improvement Project will reconstruct approximately 8,000 feet of roadway along Route 1A. The project stretches from our downtown (East Street) to the Norwood Town Line. The intersections at Fisher, Gould, Mylod and North Street will also receive improvements. The project scope includes:
- Rebuilding and repaving the roadway
- Adding new pavement markings and bike lanes
- Adding new sidewalks and curb ramps
- Installing coordinated traffic/pedestrian signals
- Replacing the bridge over the Neponset River
- Modifying MBTA Commuter Rail bridge
- Drainage work to connect new curbs to existing catch basins and improve the removal of stormwater runoff
This project entails both overhead and underground utility work.
Most of the corridor will undergo a full depth reconstruction. This requires the contractor to remove 20.5 inches of pavement and concrete. The roadway will then receive a new base, a base layer of asphalt, and a topcoat of asphalt.
Areas involved in full depth road construction will be in gravel until they are paved on Friday during the day. Drivers should expect sections of gravel road during the week. Alternate routes are available. The contractor is permitted to do overnight work.
Work on the Neponset River Bridge will take place from Fall 2021 to 2024. During construction of the new bridge, a temporary bridge will be in place. Both travel lanes will remain open and pedestrian access will be maintained. Work on the Commuter Rail Bridge will take place from Summer 2022 to 2023.
Regional Equity and Support
- The project benefits Walpole as well as the surrounding communities who use this stretch of Route 1A as a main connection
- First project in the Three Rivers Interlocal Council (TRIC) region to be funded in the last five years
- The Town continue to work closely with partners in State Government, MassDOT, and General contractor MDR Construction Co. to keep Route 1A residents and businesses aware of project updates and assist them with traffic and other impacts during construction
- MassDOT Presentation February 2021
- Public Information Meeting Presentation 11/27/18
- MassDOT Project for Route 1A North improvements in Walpole (Project ID# 602261)
Project email for all inquiries: MassDOTWalpoleRoute1A@dot.state.ma.us
Field office phone number for abutter site concerns: 508-734-5602
|Route 1A Project Fact Sheet||1.04 MB|
|Project Update – September 25th to October 15th 2022 Update||204.8 KB|