Walpole Route 1A Improvement Project
Rt. 1A Improvements December 3, 2021 Update
MDR returned to the job on Tuesday November 30, 2021 after a week plus hiatus. The week of December 6th will see MDR crews installing drainage across from the Aggie in the Congress/Federal/Chapman St. area. Work that was anticipated previously at North Street is scheduled for this week as water main work and drainage will be completed. Inlets will be installed so that no more puddling will remain. Detours may be in place during the day when this work occurs. As in the past access to local business will be maintained as much as possible. MIG will continue indefinitely on the Bridge at North Street. Eversource Gas is scheduled to continue gas main work at or near Mylod St. for at least this coming week and likely into the following week. Finally, Verizon crews will be at various locations on the job to transfer/replace/install their wires and equipment. Various other overhead utility subcontractors may also be on site as scheduling will allow.
If it snows crews will not be on the job, however, some construction presence is anticipated through the winter.
There will be paving of the existing trenches to fill in settlement and improve the ride, however, it is not currently scheduled.
Overnight Work Starting 11/8/2021: Norwood line to Sherwood Drive
Overnights starting in two weeks, we will do overnight drainage and utility work from the Norwood town line south to Sherwood Drive (just before Stop and Shop). An advisory is also posted on electronic variable message boards along the road and the work has been coordinated with the Town of Walpole.
What Work to Expect: We will be saw-cutting a trench for utilities, which means some periodic noise and light impacts. This is a moving operation using a walking saw, so we expect impacts in any one area to be relatively brief before we move to the next section. The contractor will do their best to work efficiently and quietly. This operation is being done at night to avoid conflicts with daytime work.
Travel Impacts: lane reductions with no detours. Overnight traffic should plan to slow down if using 1A.
Timing: weekday overnights from 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. for about two weeks starting Monday 11/8/21. Note, no work will occur on Thursday November 11 in observance of Veterans Day.
Overall Project Information: Work hours are generally 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. during the week. Route 1A will be fully paved and available every weekend, Friday to Sunday.
Weather and unexpected circumstances make all construction subject to change, but we will do our best to keep you updated as changes occur.
MassDOT Project for Route 1A North improvements in Walpole (Project ID# 602261)
This Project has been in the works since 1997 and is necessary in order to properly maintain the infrastructure, as well as continue to ensure public safety and enhance economic development opportunities.
The proposed Project consists of reconstructing approximately 8,000 feet of roadway along Route 1A from our downtown to the Norwood Town Line including intersection and approach improvements at Fisher, Gould, Mylod and North Streets.
Route 1A is one of the Town’s main commercial corridors, as well as one of the region’s main thoroughfares. This particular stretch of Route 1A passes through several residential areas, has two public schools in the vicinity and also serves many local businesses, including small and large commercial plazas. The current condition of Route 1A has caused traffic congestion and troublesome safety issues for both vehicles and pedestrians, alike.
In addition to addressing much-needed traffic and pedestrian safety concerns, the Project will also address economic development needs. With the many businesses in the immediate area, improved infrastructure is necessary in order for them to continue to thrive. Planned development activities in the immediate and distant future will be supported by the Project.
Why Project is Necessary
- Public safety improvements for motorists and pedestrians
- Route 1A serves as access to the Norfolk County Agricultural HS, as well as the Fisher Elementary School off of Fisher Street
- Route 1A serves numerous residential neighborhoods, as well as several businesses and large commercial plazas
- Assist with economic development efforts – both to support existing businesses by providing their customers and employees with safe and practical access and to support future growth by showcasing this busy thoroughfare as one that has updated infrastructure and can support a large volume of vehicular traffic
- The project not only benefits Walpole; many surrounding communities utilize this stretch of Route 1A as main connection
- No projects have been funded within this area (also referred to as the Three Rivers Interlocal Council or “TRIC” region) in the last five years
- Town outreach - While the route 1A contract may not be a project that is sponsored or funded by the Town of Walpole, the Town continues to work with our partners in State Government at MassDot and the selected General contractor, MDR Construction Co; Inc. The Town of Walpole is committed to working with residents and local businesses who are located on the route 1A corridor an to assist with traffic and other impacts during the construction period.
- MassDOT Presentation February 2021
- Public Information Meeting Presentation 11/27/18
- MassDOT Project for Route 1A North improvements in Walpole (Project ID# 602261)
The detour route listed above is accurate as of the time it is published on the website. Additional detours will be operational at certain times during of construction throughout the lifetime of this construction project.
Project Email (For Any General Concern); MassDOTWalpoleRoute1A@dot.state.ma.us
MassDOT Construction Office Telephone; (508) 734-5602
MDR Business Phone Number - (978) 851-1000
|Route 1A Project Fact Sheet||1.04 MB|