Walpole Route 1A Improvement Project
Project Advisory: Milling and Paving
What is happening?
The Contractor is scheduled to mill and pave the southern end of Route 1A on Monday 11/28 and Tuesday 11/29. Work will start at Hanson Avenue and move north to Page Avenue. Work will begin on the northbound side to ensure that the roadway in front of the business plazas are completed as soon as possible to reduce impacts to businesses and their customers.
During nighttime hours, the Contractor will be milling the roadway from Hanson Avenue to Page Avenue. There is potential for an overnight detour controlled by Walpole Police.
Schedule: Monday 11/28
Work Hours: Nighttime 8PM to when paving begins
During daytime hours, the Contractor will be paving the roadway from Hanson Avenue to Page Avenue. Drivers should expect alternating traffic at the workzone. Side street access will be restricted for up to a half hour to allow the pavement to set.
Schedule: Tuesday 11/29
Work Hours: Daytime 5AM to 4:30PM
Please take care to pay attention to all signage as it is posted. Police details, changes in lane markings, temporary controls such as barriers and traffic cones, signage, and other tools will be used throughout the project to control traffic and create safe work zones within the project limits. Nearby businesses are open and will be kept accessible during construction.
How can I find more information?
Stay up-to-date and informed by following the @MassDOT twitter account and Mass 511 for real-time updates, visiting the project website, or emailing us with any questions.
Rt. 1A Improvements – November 5 - November 26, 2022 Update
Over the next three weeks, the Contractor will be working daytime hours constructing sidewalks, curbs, and driveways along Route 1A and continuing work at the Neponset Bridge. Before driveways are installed, homeowners will be notified in advance. Driveway installations require a 3-day curing time which means that the homeowners will not be able to use their driveways. Full depth road reconstruction, and intermediate course asphalt operations have ended for the 2022 season. The Town and MassDOT appreciate the patience of residents and commuters throughout the past week or so as the traffic management has been a challenge.
Route 1A is one of the Town’s main commercial corridors, as well as one of the region’s main thoroughfares. The stretch of 1A undergoing repair abuts residences, schools, and local businesses. Current conditions on the roadway have caused traffic congestion and safety issues for both vehicles and pedestrians. Improving the roadway infrastructure will address public safety concerns and improve economic development by helping local businesses to thrive.
Why the Project is Necessary
- Improve safety for motorists and pedestrians
- Improve access to Norfolk County Agricultural High School and Fisher Elementary School
- Improve access to residential neighborhoods and local businesses
- Assist with economic development efforts by providing safe and practical access to businesses and supporting future growth through renewed infrastructure
The Walpole Route 1A Improvement Project will reconstruct approximately 8,000 feet of roadway along Route 1A. The project stretches from our downtown (East Street) to the Norwood Town Line. The intersections at Fisher, Gould, Mylod and North Street will also receive improvements. The project scope includes:
- Rebuilding and repaving the roadway
- Adding new pavement markings and bike lanes
- Adding new sidewalks and curb ramps
- Installing coordinated traffic/pedestrian signals
- Replacing the bridge over the Neponset River
- Modifying MBTA Commuter Rail bridge
- Drainage work to connect new curbs to existing catch basins and improve the removal of stormwater runoff
This project entails both overhead and underground utility work.
Most of the corridor will undergo a full depth reconstruction. This requires the contractor to remove 20.5 inches of pavement and concrete. The roadway will then receive a new base, a base layer of asphalt, and a topcoat of asphalt.
Areas involved in full depth road construction will be in gravel until they are paved on Friday during the day. Drivers should expect sections of gravel road during the week. Alternate routes are available. The contractor is permitted to do overnight work.
Work on the Neponset River Bridge will take place from Fall 2021 to 2024. During construction of the new bridge, a temporary bridge will be in place. Both travel lanes will remain open and pedestrian access will be maintained. Work on the Commuter Rail Bridge will take place from Summer 2022 to 2023.
Regional Equity and Support
- The project benefits Walpole as well as the surrounding communities who use this stretch of Route 1A as a main connection
- First project in the Three Rivers Interlocal Council (TRIC) region to be funded in the last five years
- The Town continue to work closely with partners in State Government, MassDOT, and General contractor MDR Construction Co. to keep Route 1A residents and businesses aware of project updates and assist them with traffic and other impacts during construction
- MassDOT Presentation February 2021
- Public Information Meeting Presentation 11/27/18
- MassDOT Project for Route 1A North improvements in Walpole (Project ID# 602261)
Project email for all inquiries: MassDOTWalpoleRoute1A@dot.state.ma.us
Field office phone number for abutter site concerns: 508-734-5602
|Route 1A Project Fact Sheet||1.04 MB|
|Project Update – November 5, 2022 – November 26, 2022||157.18 KB|
|Project Advisory: Milling and Paving 11/28 and 11/29||71.35 KB|