Walpole Route 1A Improvement Project
Rt. 1A Improvements September 10, 2021 Update
Eversource Gas will continue working at North Street the week of September 13th and the shut-down/detour will continue during the day as it has for several weeks. DOT/MDR will continue to maintain access to Stella’s and Gigi’s Bridal/Mr. G’s Tuxedo’s when the detour is up. The walkways to the pedestrian bridge opposite North Street cannot be completed until gas work is complete. Elsewhere, MDR Construction will continue working on Rt. 1A at Hoover Road., however, they will also resume installation of Drain on Hoover near Coolidge Road so residents in that area may expect lots of activity and some delays. Box out replacement (removal of existing pavement and sidewalks) from the Norwood end of the job back toward Bullard Street is anticipated to start this week as well. Overhead wire crews appear on the job from time to time. Verizon still has substantial work to do. Most of the other overhead work has been performed.
MassDOT Project for Route 1A North improvements in Walpole (Project ID# 602261)
This Project has been in the works since 1997 and is necessary in order to properly maintain the infrastructure, as well as continue to ensure public safety and enhance economic development opportunities.
The proposed Project consists of reconstructing approximately 8,000 feet of roadway along Route 1A from our downtown to the Norwood Town Line including intersection and approach improvements at Fisher, Gould, Mylod and North Streets.
Route 1A is one of the Town’s main commercial corridors, as well as one of the region’s main thoroughfares. This particular stretch of Route 1A passes through several residential areas, has two public schools in the vicinity and also serves many local businesses, including small and large commercial plazas. The current condition of Route 1A has caused traffic congestion and troublesome safety issues for both vehicles and pedestrians, alike.
In addition to addressing much-needed traffic and pedestrian safety concerns, the Project will also address economic development needs. With the many businesses in the immediate area, improved infrastructure is necessary in order for them to continue to thrive. Planned development activities in the immediate and distant future will be supported by the Project.
Why Project is Necessary
- Public safety improvements for motorists and pedestrians
- Route 1A serves as access to the Norfolk County Agricultural HS, as well as the Fisher Elementary School off of Fisher Street
- Route 1A serves numerous residential neighborhoods, as well as several businesses and large commercial plazas
- Assist with economic development efforts – both to support existing businesses by providing their customers and employees with safe and practical access and to support future growth by showcasing this busy thoroughfare as one that has updated infrastructure and can support a large volume of vehicular traffic
- The project not only benefits Walpole; many surrounding communities utilize this stretch of Route 1A as main connection
- No projects have been funded within this area (also referred to as the Three Rivers Interlocal Council or “TRIC” region) in the last five years
- Town outreach - While the route 1A contract may not be a project that is sponsored or funded by the Town of Walpole, the Town continues to work with our partners in State Government at MassDot and the selected General contractor, MDR Construction Co; Inc. The Town of Walpole is committed to working with residents and local businesses who are located on the route 1A corridor an to assist with traffic and other impacts during the construction period.
- MassDOT Presentation February 2021
- Public Information Meeting Presentation 11/27/18
- MassDOT Project for Route 1A North improvements in Walpole (Project ID# 602261)
The detour route listed above is accurate as of the time it is published on the website. Additional detours will be operational at certain times during of construction throughout the lifetime of this construction project.
Project Email (For Any General Concern); MassDOTWalpoleRoute1A@dot.state.ma.us
MassDOT Construction Office Telephone; (508) 734-5602
Resident Engineer; Eric Borman (DOT) email@example.com
MDR Construction Project Manager; Dan Melican firstname.lastname@example.org
MDR Business Phone Number - (978) 851-1000
|Route 1A Project Fact Sheet||1.04 MB|