Walpole Route 1A Improvement Project
Rt. 1A Improvements May 12, 2021 Update
The week ending May 7th construction warning signs were erected throughout the job and detour signs were placed on Bullard, Washington, Mylod and other locations. This week construction detour signs will be completed on the North end of the job along Gill, North, Pemberton, Kendall, School & East St. area. All detour signs will remain bagged until detours are implemented, however, that will not be for awhile. Tree/vegetation clearing was performed from Bullard St. to Norwood Town Line and back to Bullard on each side with this area being completed about Monday 5/10. Tree/vegetation clearing will continue from Bullard St. back toward Walpole center ending about at Fisher Street. This should all be complete the week of 5/10. Sawcutting of pavement is complete on Hoover Road and the North Street area in the vicinity of the bridge over the Neponset River. The week of 5/10 sawcutting of pavement will continue from Bullard St. to the Norwood Town line. No detours for all this to occur. Lane closures are permitted after 9AM. Note; Road excavation for utilities and other heavy work is not expected to start until the week of June 6, 2021.
Eversource continues transferring wires, cutting services over and setting the remaining poles. Eversource work is on schedule to be completed in early June.
The project will proceed from the Norwood Town Line southerly back into Walpole. Vegetation, tree and stump removal will occur first followed by the installation of erosion controls. Once this is in place the removal of existing pavement and sidewalks may begin. The project will be addressed in segments so that the entire corridor will not be disturbed at once. For example, the first work zone will likely be from the Norwood Town Line to the Bullard/Willet St. intersection. Prior to and in conjunction with the sequence described above new drain lines will be installed the length of Hoover Road. The Hoover Road work is anticipated to start in approximately two weeks. Further updates will be posted as Town officials receive additional information.
MassDOT Project for Route 1A North improvements in Walpole (Project ID# 602261)
This Project has been in the works since 1997 and is necessary in order to properly maintain the infrastructure, as well as continue to ensure public safety and enhance economic development opportunities.
The proposed Project consists of reconstructing approximately 8,000 feet of roadway along Route 1A from our downtown to the Norwood Town Line including intersection and approach improvements at Fisher, Gould, Mylod and North Streets.
Route 1A is one of the Town’s main commercial corridors, as well as one of the region’s main thoroughfares. This particular stretch of Route 1A passes through several residential areas, has two public schools in the vicinity and also serves many local businesses, including small and large commercial plazas. The current condition of Route 1A has caused traffic congestion and troublesome safety issues for both vehicles and pedestrians, alike.
In addition to addressing much-needed traffic and pedestrian safety concerns, the Project will also address economic development needs. With the many businesses in the immediate area, improved infrastructure is necessary in order for them to continue to thrive. Planned development activities in the immediate and distant future will be supported by the Project.
Why Project is Necessary
- Public safety improvements for motorists and pedestrians
- Route 1A serves as access to the Norfolk County Agricultural HS, as well as the Fisher Elementary School off of Fisher Street
- Route 1A serves numerous residential neighborhoods, as well as several businesses and large commercial plazas
- Assist with economic development efforts – both to support existing businesses by providing their customers and employees with safe and practical access and to support future growth by showcasing this busy thoroughfare as one that has updated infrastructure and can support a large volume of vehicular traffic
- The project not only benefits Walpole; many surrounding communities utilize this stretch of Route 1A as main connection
- No projects have been funded within this area (also referred to as the Three Rivers Interlocal Council or “TRIC” region) in the last five years
- Town outreach - While the route 1A contract may not be a project that is sponsored or funded by the Town of Walpole, the Town continues to work with our partners in State Government at MassDot and the selected General contractor, MDR Construction Co; Inc. The Town of Walpole is committed to working with residents and local businesses who are located on the route 1A corridor an to assist with traffic and other impacts during the construction period.
- MassDOT Presentation February 2021
- Public Information Meeting Presentation 11/27/18
- MassDOT Project for Route 1A North improvements in Walpole (Project ID# 602261)
The detour route listed above is accurate as of the time it is published on the website. Additional detours will be operational at certain times during of construction throughout the lifetime of this construction project.
Resident Engineer; Borman, Eric K. (DOT) firstname.lastname@example.org
Leo Lessard MDM Project Super email@example.com
Dan Melican MDM Proj Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
MDM Business Phone Number - (978)851-1000